Research Paper: Systemic Racism’s Impact & Possible Solutions
Assignment: After numerous class discussions, viewing Ava DuVernay’s documentary, 13th, and reading Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me, Michelle Alexander’s The New Jim Crow, and various class handouts, I’m asking you to discuss the following in no less than 2,000 words:
1. Provide a thorough description of systemic racism and how it works.
2. Explain 2-3 ways in which systemic racism impacts
3. Propose 2-3 possible solutions to combat systemic racism, and then choose one of them as your preferred solution. Please compare and contrast these solutions to demonstrate why your preferred solution is better than the other(s).
1. 2,000-2,500 words, plus a Title, Abstract, and References page (see handout for format).
2. No less than seven (7) academic sources, at least two of which MUST be chosen from the works mentioned above (Coates, Alexander, and Duvernay). Additional sources are optional but must be academic in nature.
3. Define systemic racism.
4. Discuss no less than two (2) ways systemic racism impacts society.
5. Propose no less than two (2) solutions to the problems you discuss.
6. Compare and contrast your chosen solutions and choose one of them as your preferred solution.
7. Present a clear, arguable thesis statement in the introduction that clearly states your chosen problems and your proposed solutions.
8. MUST be written in a formal, academic tone (third person).
9. Strict adherence to APA formatting (12 pt. Times New Roman font, 1-inch margins all around, double-spaced, etc.).
The successful paper will do the following:
· Focus on the topics provided with adequate examples/examination of these topics
· Provide evidence (quotes) that demonstrate the topics you’re analyzing
· Demonstrate critical thinking, reading, and writing skills by making sound claims and supporting them with evidence in an organized and logical manner
· Have well organized paragraphs with clear topic sentences
· Effectively use transitions between paragraphs and ideas
· Support the thesis statement and other claims with textual evidence and examples
· Come to a conclusion that moves beyond summary
· Effectively synthesize textual material via quotations
Please Do NOT:
· Use more than one (1) block quote.
· Write in the first or second person (unless you are directly quoting someone)
· Use generalities or offensive language in any way