Correctional Facility Nursing: Promise Heights Jail
Assignment #1: Role of the Correctional Nurse
○ In preparation for this assignment, students should read leading content by Dhaliwal and Hirst (2016); Choudhry, Armstrong, and Dregan (2017); and Williams and Heavey (2014).
○ Students who complete an individual assignment should write a 2-page-page (approximately 500 words):
■ Based on readings, students should define and describe the role of the correctional nurse. Students should compare what they learned about the correctional nurse role with the role of nurses in other settings. In addition, students should consider what preparation and experience would be helpful to succeed in a correctional nursing role. Students should use citations as appropriate.
Assignment #2a: Infographic: Prison Population
· In preparation for this assignment, students should explore websites and scholarly sources that discuss characteristics of, and health issues related to, the prison population. In addition, students should learn about developing an infographic, which is a visual image such as a chart or diagram that represents data and information.
§ See https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/free-ppt-infographic-templates-designs-ht or other sources of your choice for ideas on infographics.
· Students should create an infographic (visual representation) that depicts demographics, characteristics, and common health issues of the prison population. The infographic should address factors such as racial/ethnic mix, gender, age, chronic health conditions, mental health conditions, addictions, and communicable diseases. Students should include citations within the infographic.
· Students should submit the infographic document as directed by the course instructor.
§ Note: The drawing tools in Microsoft WORD are sufficient to create an infographic; purchase of additional software is not required to complete this assignment.