1 to 2
3 to 4
5 to 6
7 to 8
Read the following sections in Chapter 9: Health Behavior and Health Ed.
Read the following sections in Chapter 10: Health Behavior and Health Ed.
12-point standard font
References and in-text citations in APA format
Throughout the semester students will work with another individual to help them address a health issue. The “client” will choose a behavior detrimental to their health to reduce or eliminate OR a health promoting behavior they would like to increase or add to their lifestyle. This behavior will serve as the focus of your behavior modification project and will run through week 10 of the course.
As this is a theory class, you MUST incorporate constructs of theories we have learned from class into your journal. You will complete weekly entries of your client’s progress (or lack thereof). You are not graded on if they succeed on achieving their goal, you will be graded on the thoroughness of your work and the application of course materials to the behavior modification. Below are the specific details of the assignment.
· Start the journal with an introductory (about a paragraph) describing the intent of this project. What behavior are you trying to modify? Tell me the goals and SMART objectives, give me a brief background of your client and assess their current health status. It may help to use a mini-SWOT analysis. Basically, a general overview of your project.
· Using course content, write weekly progress reports on the project. These should be about 2 pages in length. Use the following sections to help structure your weekly entries:
· Weekly short-term goals and activities: What are your specific plans for your client this week? Did they meet these goals? Explain how or why not in your response. Describe what they did.
· Measure performance: Be specific on how often your client modified their behavior. Document this is some measurable unit and illustrate this (using charts, tables, etc.). Week comparisons are an awesome way of illustrating this!
· Apply course material: Describe how you applied course content this week. What theory or model constructs did you use this week? You are to use a different theory or model every two weeks for a total of 5 different ones. Give a brief explanation of the theory or model and the constructs you are using and describe how you are using them to modify the behavior. Remember to cite your sources appropriately! As theory is the most important aspect of this assignment, please pay attention to this section and demonstrate your ability to think critically and apply the material appropriately.
· Reflexive journaling: How is your client feeling? What are their thoughts and emotions as they work to modify their behavior? What barriers have they encountered and how can you help facilitate their ability to overcome those?
· Goals for the following week: What do you plan to do the next week in order to work to achieve the overall goals? What are your specific goals and plans for the next week? Do you foresee any potential barriers?
· For your final entry, you will need to summarize your project. This will be about 2-3 pages in length. Describe how you chose your theories or models and constructs in order to try and achieve the desired results. Why did you choose the ones you did? (Remember to cite). Evaluate the project. Did your client achieve the desired behavior modification? Use a table/graph/chart to illustrate final data. Be detailed. If they reached their goal, what aspects do you think worked well? Which did not work as well? If they did not achieve their goal, why do you think they struggled? What barriers were there and how did you both work to overcome them? Was there anything you would change if you were to repeat this project? What have you learned from this?
· Choose a manageable and specific behavior. Clear it with me before you start working.
· Be clear and specific when developing your goals and objectives.
· Pay attention to the main goal of this project. It is to illustrate your understanding of applying theory/models to health behavior. Ensure I can see that you are able to do this.
· Cite your sources appropriately in text and at the end with a reference page. Even unintentional plagiarism is plagiarism.
· Reach out to me with any questions or issues you have. I am here to guide you and help you, but I cannot do that if you don’t let me know you need help.
· Also, although the journal overall is worth 100 points, I will be reading through them and providing you regular feedback so you can adjust if needed. Therefore, you will submit them weekly in blackboard. Your first entry will include the intro and your final entry will include your summary. You may use the same document and merely add to it each week, or you may submit a new document each week.
(Worth 30 points)
|Includes all required elements. Follows all directions. Content is reflective of graduate level work.
|May not include all required elements. May not follows all directions. Not very clear or somewhat well-organized. Content may not be reflective of graduate level work.
|Does not include all required elements. Not organized. Not reflective of graduate level work.
|Application of theoretical constructs
(Worth 50 points)
|Applied constructs from chosen theory or model appropriately and provides detailed explanations. Supports points. Student displayed critical thinking/introspection in post or response.
|Applied constructs from chosen theory or model inappropriately or does not provide detailed explanation or support. Weak display of critical or introspective thinking.
|Does not use constructs appropriately. No or minimal support or explanations. Does not display critical or introspective thinking.
|Grammar, mechanical, or syntax issues
(Worth 10 points)
|Free of this type of errors.
|Few of these types of error.
|Several of these errors.
(Worth 10 points)
|Uses and cites credible references using APA style.
|Uses credible references, but not in APA style.
|Does not use any references or does not use credible sources.