Ethical Reasoning Paper
One of the greatest gifts of film is its ability to create incredibly powerful stories. These stories can be a crucial tool to introduce and explore real life events. The movies selected for this assignment are all strong examples of the ethical and moral situations in business that are based on real events/true stories.
Part I: Movie Review (2-3 pages)
Students will select a movie from the available movie titles to review and analyze.
· Students should watch their movie (twice if possible) so they can take notes. Look for themes related to moral and ethical business issues.
· Once your notes are completed, begin to review, organize, and analyze your notes.
· The goal is identify 2-3 issues and examples related to ethics to focus on in Part I of your paper.
· You will then write part 1 of your paper describing the premise of the movie and discussing the 2-3 issues/examples you identified.
Part II- Research & Recommendations (4-5 pages)
Students will then research the issues raised in part I.
· What does the research say about these ethical situations and what implications do they have for businesses, public/communities, shareholders, employees, etc.
· Your will utilize, at minimum, 4 resources which speak to the issues/concerns identified (sources can be a mix of scholarly and/or business-based resources).
· Lastly, you will provide well supported recommendations to address the issue/concerns explored in this section. For example, is there an example of an organization who addressed and resolve this issue in the workplace? Is there a specific model that is promoted as a best practice to resolve this issue?
· The goal is to provide interventions for organizations to improve as a result of implementing your recommendations.
The following outline will assist in guiding your paper (suggested outline):
· Include the purpose of this paper (for example, you can use the following statement, “The purpose of this paper is to review the movie “Dark Waters” and explore the issues of xxxxxxx. This paper will explore the ethical arguments to further address the themes of xxxxx and xxxxx).
· Include the title of the film and the year it was produced
· List the main characters and provide a brief plot outline (think of this as the descriptions you read on Fandango or IMD to decide whether you’d watch the movie or not).
Part I: Movie Review
· What areas of ethical /moral issues? This is where you define, address/explore, at least, 2-3 ethical issues raised in the movie. What were your thoughts related to the movie and the issues raised?
. Discuss/define the issue
. Provide context and why this is an ethical /moral issue
. Provide the moral /ethical argument from all sides
. How was the issue address/ what was the outcome
Part II- Research & Recommendations
· Provide a brief introduction or overview of the two issues/concerns identified in part I.
. Why were you interested in exploring or researching this topic(s) further?
. Briefly describe both issues/concerns.
· How does this issue impact the workplace?
. Why does it matter?
. If left unaddressed what will happen?
· What does existing research say about the ethical issues identified? This section should be well laid out and supported. Be sure to properly cite (per APA guidelines) all sources, even when paraphrasing.
. Provide well supported recommendations to address the issue/concerns explored in this section.
. You are welcome to use business examples to support each recommendation (For example, this is an example of how Google implemented an ethics policies to address x, y, z).
· Reiterate the key takeaways of the paper.
Don’t forget to include the reference page as well.