Genre Analysis Writing Response #1
Directions: Make a copy of this Google Doc or download it. Submit your completed answers to the Assignments page on D2L before class on Thursday, February 10th.
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Just from $13/Page
Section 1: Practice with the rhetorical situation and rhetorical strategies. View the slides from class on February 8 to review this information before you complete this assignment.
1. Below, copy the link to a video advertisement (a commercial) on YouTube or a similar video-hosting website.
2. Identify elements of the video’s rhetorical situation. ● Author: ● Intended audience: ● Purpose:
3. Identify the rhetorical appeals (ethos, pathos, logos) used in the video. Remember, most advertisements use more than one rhetorical strategy. Describe how these strategies are used in the video you found and whether you think they are effective.
Section 2: Get started on your genre analysis essay by brainstorming campus organizations and genres of texts (types of communication) they use.
1. Make a list of campus organizations you are familiar with.
● These could be groups that you have already joined or groups you might research for this project.
● Think about student groups and clubs, academic associations, student support resources, extracurricular organizations, etc.
2. Make a list of the kinds of texts these organizations use.
● Remember, a text for this course is anything that communicates a message. ● Think about emails, posters, webpages, TikToks, flyers, social media posts,
signs, memes, mission statements, etc. ● Be specific!