Framework for Clinical Discussion and Activities: QSEN Competencies https://qsen.org/competencies/pre-licensure-ksas/
· Patient-Centered Care (PCC)
· Teamwork and Collaboration (TWC)
· Evidence-based Practice (EBP)
· Safety (S)
· Informatics (I)
(Pre-clinical work is your “ticket” into clinical; the below section must be filled out before coming to clinical)
Please research the Ethical Principles below;
Write a reflection on Ethical Considerations when caring for a psychiatric patient.
· Ask a nurse about involuntary admissions.
· What is the criteria for involuntary admissions
· What is the number of physicians required to certify that the pt’s condition requires commitment?
· Can the pt request a legal review of the admission?
· What is the total number of days a pt can be placed on an involuntary admission before a provider and legal team need to review the admission?
· Based on your findings, what are your thoughts regarding involuntary admission?
· Ask a nurse about Client Rights regarding Seclusion and Restraint
· How often are patients placed in seclusion/restraints?
· When is it appropriate to put a pt in seclusion? When is it inappropriate?
· What are the nurse’s responsibilities when the pt is in seclusion/restraints?
· Based on your findings, do you think seclusion and restraints are ethical?
· It is essential that nurses document information related to violent and unusual episodes. What should this documentation cover? (hint-pt,staff, time)
· One minute care plan
· Nursing interventions to manage behaviors before applying mechanical restraints.
· Did you notice any unethical behaviors today? What makes you think they were unethical?