Food and diet are also practices used to protect health in many ethnic backgrounds.
Raw garlic or onions: used to prevent illness.
Ginseng root: used preventively to “build the blood,” especially after childbirth. Also used as a restorative tonic.
Examples of other food and diet in protecting health:
· The rules of the kosher diet practiced among Jewish people mandate the elimination of pig products and shellfish.
· Jews also believe that milk and meat must never be mixed and eaten at the same meal.
· Food must be a balance between yin or yang in Chinese homes.
· Food must be balanced as to “hot” and “cold” in Hispanic homes.
· Some foods are consumed at certain times of the week or year and not during other times.