Complete of the following chapter exercises and share your impressions. The emphasis should be on your awareness of your thoughts and feelings.
1. Do I spend a lot of time worrying about what other people think about my appearance?
2. Do I spend more time thinking about what I dislike about my appearance than what I like about it?
3. Is my appearance really important in how I evaluate my self-worth?
4. Do I avoid activities, people, or situations due to feeling self-conscious about my appearance?
5. Do I spend a lot of money, time, or effort attempting to “fix” my appearance flaws, or trying to look “perfect?”
6. Does my satisfaction with my appearance dictate my mood, or how happy I feel that day?
7. Do I often compare my appearance to others or check my appearance in mirrors?
8. Do I find myself seeking reassurance from others about my appearance or dismissing compliments I receive about my appearance?
9. Do I believe that my appearance is largely responsible for much of what’s happened to me in my life, or believe that I can control my future by improving my appearance?
10. Do my feelings about my appearance get in the way of accepting myself or enjoying my life?